You’ve probably heard about the benefits of both aloe vera and coconut oil when used separately for all sorts of skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, rashes, irritated skin or just dry skin.
Aloe vera and coconut oil are popular ingredients in commercial and DIY body lotions. They can be used on their own however have you thought about using both of them together at the same time?
Aloe vera is a succulent plant, meaning its leaves hold big quantities of water, whereas coconut oil is pure oil, and we all know that water and oil don’t mix together. However, you can use aloe vera gel, and not aloe vera juice, along with whipped coconut oil so that its consistency holds the mixture together.
Aloe Vera– Health Benefits
Both aloe vera and coconut oil are excellent for your skin. Here are a few of aloe vera’s health benefits:
- Aloe Vera is a popular natural remedy for minor burns and sunburns.
- It can be used for soothing irritated skin and rashes.
- It gets rid of stretch mark, age spots, acne and scars.
- It hydrates and invigorates the skin.
Coconut Oil– Health Benefits
- Coconut oil can be used as a natural moisturizer and it may slow skin aging.
- It helps to soften the skin and is especially helpful for dry skin.
- It has antifungal and anti-bacterial properties so it can help to improve different skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, sunburn, rashes and skin irritations.
- It can be used as a makeup cleaner.
- It is a great base oil for massage.
- It is not only used for skin, but to hydrate the hair too.
So, stop using commercial expensive lotions and make your own healing natural lotion which combines the health benefits of coconut oil and aloe vera.
Healing Coconut Oil And Aloe Vera Gel Lotion
It is important to use pure 100% aloe vera gel (do not use juice), as well as a good quality organic virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil, when in solid form, works up to a fluffy and light consistency, which makes a great body cream. It is absorbed quickly into the skin and you just need a small amount of it to cover your skin.
- ½ cup organic extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure aloe vera gel (use pure natural and cold pressed aloe vera gel).
- A few drops of essential oils of your choice (like lavender, jasmine, rose, vanilla).
Mix the coconut oil and aloe vera in a bowl (do not melt the coconut oil as it will only work if it’s solid). Whisk the mixture using an electric or hand whisker for 5 to 10 minutes until whipped into a light, fluffy and airy consistency (a blender or food processor is not ideal for this recipe, because they tend to warm the oil too much and prevent it from whipping up). If you’re going to add essential oils, do so at the time when you whisk the mixture.
Transfer the whipped mix into a glass container (essential oils can interact with some plastics) and store at room temperature. Store it in the refrigerator if your home is warm enough to cause the oil to melt. (You want to keep its whipped consistency). The lotion will last for several weeks.
How To Use It:
Use it like any other hydrating lotion and apply it all over your body. This cream is most efficient when applied while your skin is still wet after bathing. It can also work well as a make-up remover.