We all know that oranges are very healthy because they contain a lot of vitamin C. They also contain vitamins A and B, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, potassium, soluble fiber and other nutrients.
Usually, after we eat them, we just throw away their peels. But by doing this we are actually missing a lot of health benefits because there are a lot of different usages of the peels. You can use them to improve your health, for cooking or for beauty.
Just under the peels there is a lot of vitamins C and fatty acids. And the peels themselves have more flavonoids and phytonutrients than the inner pulp.
Here’s how you can use the orange peels in order to experience their nutritional benefits:
#1. Improve your skin
Orange peels can minimize dark spots and imperfections of the skin. They actually act as a natural bleacher that improves the tone of your skin.
Moreover, their high content of vitamin C keeps the elasticity of the skin and gives it a healthy glow, as well as avoids dryness.It also protects the skin from the dangerous ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of orange peel powder and plain yogurt with 1 teaspoon of honey until you get a paste.
- Apply the paste on your neck and face and massage them with circular movements.
- Leave it to act for about 20 minutes and then wash your face and neck with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a week
- To make the orange peel powder you just need to dry the peels in the sun for about 3 days.
#2. Fights the signs of aging
Orange peels contain potent anti-oxidants that fight against free radicals that cause damage to healthy cells and contribute to the process of skin ageing, as well as forming lines, wrinkles and skin sags. Moreover, the peels have astringent properties that act as incredible skin toner.
- Make a paste by mixing 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder and 1 tablespoon of oatmeal powder with honey.
- Apply the paste on the neck and face.
- Leave it to act for about 30 minutes and then wash your face and neck with cold water.
- For best results, use it once a week.
#3. Eliminates blackheads and whiteheads
You can also use orange peels to naturally exfoliate your skin and remove the dead skin cells and the dirt from it. In this way you are going to prevent the development of blackheads and whiteheads, as well as acne.
- Make a paste by using equival amounts of orange peel powder and plain yogurt.
- Apply the paste on your neck and face and massage gently with circular movements.
- Let it act for about 15 to 20 minutes and after that gently rub off it with wet hands.
- For best results you can use it every day and then reduce to once a week as a preventive measure.
#4. Whitens teeth
You can clean the yellow tint that has accumulated on your teeth with fresh orange peels. The compound called d-limonene that the peels contain helps to remove the teeth discolorations, especially from smoking.
- You just need to rub the orange peels on your teeth (from the inside white part of it) for about 2 to 3 minutes and the wash your mouth with lukewarm water. Repeat this two times a week until you get the desired effects.
- You can also mix orange peel powder and water to make a paste. You can even add dry leaves if you want. Apply it on your tooth brush and brush your teeth 2 times a day in a period of a few weeks, You can likewise include dried leaves in it. Put this paste on your tooth brush and use it to brush your teeth. Repeat two times daily for a few weeks.
#5. Helps you lose weight
Among other things, orange peels can also help you lose weight because they contain a lot of dietary elements, including vitamin C that helps the process of burning fats. You can try drinking orange peel tea instead of coffee or soda. Here’s how to make the tea:
- Dry a few peels in a cool dry place.
- Put 1 tablespoon of them in 1 cup of warm water and cover it.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Remove the peels.
- Add a little raw honey.
- Consume 2 cups of it every day .
Note: use peels from natural oranges and don’t forget to wash them good before you dry them.
#6. Lowers the bad cholesterol
You can reduce the levels of the low-density lipoproteins (LDL or the ‘bad’ cholesterol) in the body, which increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases, as well as heart attack with the help of orange peels.
The natural soluble fiber pectin that the peels contain helps rlower the levels of cholesterol as well as the levels of high blood pressure.
One research from 2004 research published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry discovered that the polymethoxylated flavones that are found in orange peels can lower the levels of cholesterol with no negative side effects, which is not the case with the regular drugs that are given for this problem.
- You need to drink orange peel tea two times a day.
- You can also add it to your favorite foods and drinks
#7. Regulates bowel movements
Orange peels also improve the digestion of food because they contain a lot of dietary fiber that helps the control of bowel movements, that avoids constipation.
They also help treating different gastrointestinal disorders, such as gases, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, bloating and heartburn.
The pectin that they contain will additionally develop more healthy bacteria in the big intestinal tract.
- You should consume one cup of orange peel tea
#8. Freshens the air
You can also use orange peels as natural air fresheners because of their sweet, lemony scent. You can use to make your home, office, kitchen etc. smell nice.
- Just put a little lemon juice, a handful of fresh orange peels, and a few cinnamon sticks in 2 cups of water and boil them for 10 minutes. Strain it and let it cool before you pour it in a spray bottle. Spray it around your home when needed.
- Or you can put some orange peel powder in small sachets and place them in different areas around your home.
- Also, you can put dry orange peels at the bottom of your trash can to prevent the bad smell.
#9. Repels mosquitoes and ants
You can also use orange peels ants, mosquitoes, flies, and even cats repellant. Pests cannot stand the limonene which provides the citrus smell in the oranges as well as citrus fruit peels.
- Just grind some orange peels and place the powder in the places where flies, ants, and other insects appear.
- Rub fresh orange peels on your skin to prevent mosquito bites.
- Put orange peels around your doors and windows as well as other entry points to keep stray cats away.
#10. It’s great for gardening
Orange peels are rich in nitrogen which makes them great addition to the compost pile in order to make the soil more fertile for cultivation of fruits and vegetables.
The compost pile will even smell fresh because of them and it will prevent dogs and cats from digging there.
- First clean the peels in order to remove the pesticides and dangerous chemicals.
- Slice them into pieces and mix them into the compost pile that you can use for gardening.