You probably already know this by now but nuts in general are very healthy for us. Some like walnuts and brazil nuts provide more specific benefits.
All nuts and seeds contain beneficial fats, B vitamins and magnesium for a healthy mood, but cashews are one of the few connected to lowering not only anxiety, however also protecting us from stress as well as mild depression.
That being stated, did you know that 6.7% of Americans over the age of 18 will be affected by a major depressive disorder this year. This is around 14.8 million people and most of them will resort to prescription medication like Prozac.
Minor side effects to Prozac include:
- Cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, aching throat
- Drowsiness, dizziness, feeling nervous
- Mild queasiness, upset stomach, constipation
- Increased cravings, weight changes
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Reduced libido, impotence, or problem having an orgasm
- Dry mouth
More major side effects consist of:
- Extremely stiff muscles, high fever, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, overactive reflexes
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, feeling unstable, loss of coordination
- Headache, problem concentrating, memory issues, weakness, confusion, hallucinations, fainting, seizure, shallow breathing or breathing that stops
- Severe skin reaction– fever, aching throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads out (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
All The Right Nutrients
Luckily, nature has you covered. Cashews contains iron, magnesium, Vitamin B6, protein as well as omega-3 fats, which are all nutrients that help combat depression and anxiety naturally.
Dr. Andrew Saul, featured in the popular film Food Matters, even states that cashews are such a win for depression and stress that they provide the same mood-boosting effects as Prozac! Though we can’t make any guarantees, taking in ¼ cup daily is a fantastic way to try it out on your own due to the nutrition powers this modest nut has.
Why Cashews Work
Trytophan (amino acid): Cashews rank one of the best plant-based sources of this amino acid (trytophan). This amino acid plays a vital part in the absorption and production of serotonin. A depletion of serotonin can make us feel anxious, stressed, and simply sad. Trytophan is discovered in many plant-based foods, however is incredibly dense in cashews with 1000-2000 milligrams per ¼ cup serving.
Magnesium (mineral): Magnesium is vital to a healthy state of mind and nerve system, helping treat depression and anxiety as a result. Cashews contain around 83 miligrams per serving.
Niacin: One of niacin’s unique properties is its ability to help you naturally relax and get to sleep more rapidly in the evening. Listen to this story about a woman who was dosed with niacin to fight her anxiety. Niacin is found in cashews.
Vitamin B6: This vitamin helps in reducing depression and improve general brain health by helping magnesium reach cells more effectively.
This is terrific news for those of us who wish for a more natural way to treat anxiety or for those who react terribly to Prozac. Also, cashews are tasty and can be used to make many different recipes.
Other health benefits of cashews include improved heart, bone, and oral health, improved nerve and muscle function.
Other Sources Included: