The cause of ear infection is bacteria or viruses in the middle ear. Ear infection occurs more often with children than adults. Some common symptoms for an ear infection are pain in the ear, tugging at the ear, difficulty sleeping, headache, poor response to noises, high fever, fluid draining from the ear, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
The ear is made up of 3 parts: external, middle and inner.
Each part has certain functions that help a person hear. The outer ear has a shape like a leaf, captures the traveling sound waves. There is a section called as pinna in the outer part of our ear, and through this area, the sound waves enter into the ear canal. The acoustic waves through the ear canal reach the eardrum which lies in the center part.
Other crucial ear organs in the middle ear are hammer, anvil, stir up, semicircular, and middle canal. Sound waves travel to the inner section of our ear, through the canal. In the inner part of the ear, there are important ear parts like cochlea, eustachian tube, and nerves. Sound waves from the canal are sent to the nerves. Our brain processes the sound that it gets from the nerves. After that we can recognize the sound and understand it.
Each part of the ear can get an infection. The most serious ones are the ones that occur to the inner ear. Problems, like damaging or bursting the ear drum can be prevented by treatment. Unattended ear infections can also lead to chronic recurrence and can even cause deafness! It is very important to consult a medical professional, but for instant relief you can try some of these natural treatments. There are easy natural home remedies that you can try to treat the ear infection and get rid of the pain.
We have chosen the top 10 solutions for ear infection.
Salt is one of the most available natural home remedy.
- Warm up one cup of salt on a pan over low heat for a few minutes. You can also heat it in a microwave or double-boiler.
- Place the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end.
- When it is warm, put the salt on the ear for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can repeat this as many times as you need during the day. The heat helps extract fluid from the ear and stops swelling and pain.
As an alternative, you can use one cup of rice instead of salt.
Garlic is very efficient treatment for pain. We also use it for ear infection in numerous ways.
- Make garlic oil by cooking 2 garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard oil until it turns blackish. Strain the solution. When it is bearably hot, pour two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops.
- Moreover, you can also boil 2 or 3 fresh garlic cloves in water for five minutes, then crush them and add some salt. Put the mix in a clean cloth and place it against the affected ear.
- Consuming 2 to 3 cloves of raw garlic daily also helps speed up the healing process.
Basil lowers infections and stops pain.
- Extract juice from 5 fresh basil leaves. Put the juice around the ear. Try not to get juice inside the ear.
- You can also mix a few drops of holy basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil like coconut oil. Soak a cotton ball in the mix and gently wipe just inside the ear, around the external edge and behind the ear. Repeat the process two times daily.
#4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the best choice if the ear infection is caused by fungus.
- Mix one part apple cider vinegar with an equal quantity of water or alcohol. Soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Put the cotton ball in your ear like a plug and leave it for about five minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay down on your opposite side to drain the liquid from the ear. Use a hair dryer to dry your ear as much as possible.
#5. Olive Oil
If the Eustachian tubes are blocked due to wax in the ear you can clear this with olive oil.
- Warm some olive oil. Put a few drops of the warm oil into the infected ear.
- The wax will then soften. Remove the infected wax.
- You can also use mustard oil in the same way as olive oil.
#6. Warm Water Bottle
Heat will quickly relieve some of the pain and will also prevent micro-organism infestation.
- Place warm water bottle or heating pad against the ear.
- You can also use a warm compress. Dip a clean washcloth in lukewarm water, ring out the excess water then place the washcloth on the infected ear.
- Do not put heat too long. Start with five minutes, then remove it. Wait for a while and you put it again.
Next to its uses in cooking we can also use onion for remedy too, including an ear infection.
- Put one chopped onion in the microwave for one to two minutes. Allow it to cool and after that strain out the onion juice. Put 2 to 3 drops of the juice in the infected ear, leave it for some time, then turn your head to let it drain out of your ear.
- You can also bake an onion for half an hour, cut it into halves and put one half in a thick cotton cloth. Place the cloth on the contaminated ear for 5 minutes. Wait for 10 minutes and after that repeat the process.
#8. Tea Tree Oil
The mild antibacterial properties present in tea tree oil can offer instant relief from earache.
- Put 3 drops of tea tree oil, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a teaspoon of colloidal silver and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Warm the mix a little bit.
- Put the mix in the ear and leave it for 5 minutes. Then turn and lay on your opposite so that the mix drains from your ear completely.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day for 2 days.
#9. Mango Leaf Juice
Mango leaf extract is a fast and effective treatment.
- Crush or grind 2 to 3 soft mango delegates draw out the juice. Slightly warm the juice.
- Using a dropper, put 3 to 4 drops of the juice into the infected ear. Within a few minutes, you will feel relief for the pain.
- Follow this remedy two to three times a day for full relief from ear infection.
#10. Breast Milk
Breast milk has natural antibodies that can help speed up the recovery process of any sort of ear infection. It will reduce swelling and pain and can eliminate an ear infection within one or two days. This solution works for both children and adults.
- Using a dropper, put a few drops of breast milk into the impacted ear.
- Repeat the process every few hours as needed.
- Breast milk also can be used to treat eye infections, small cuts and minor burns.
These remedies can help treat small ear infections. If there is no enhancement within a few days, seek medical attention.