I want to one day live in a world where I can walk down the health and wellness aisle of a store, and trust that anything I pick is telling the truth! Obviously, in this day and age, that is far too much to ask.
Do you shop at Walgreens, Walmart, GNC or Target?
Well, you may want to reconsider your choice to buy supplements at these 4 national retailers. In 2015 these stores were exposed for selling bogus, potentially harmful herbal supplements to their customers. These “supplements” that claim to be filled with healthy herbal mixtures are actually loaded with “cheap fillers” that include:
- Common house plants
This mislabeling has actually caused lots of trusting Americans to buy these rip-off supplements in hopes of a much healthier diet. One of the most alarming facts about the mislabeling is that a lot of the “filler” ingredients are common allergens!
The 4 Bogus Supplements:
#1. GNC Herbal Supplements
Some GNC brand supplements have been shown to contain soybeans and peanuts; both common allergens!
#2. Target’s St John’s Wort, Valerian Root and Ginkgo Biloba
These 3 “herbal supplements” contained NO natural ingredients. Instead, they were stuffed with beans, carrots, peas and rice.
#3. Walmart’s Memory-Boosting Ginkgo Biloba
This popular supplement contained radishes and wheat. To top it off, this specific supplement claimed to be gluten-free and wheat-free!
#4. Walgreen’s Ginseng Supplements
This particular pill contained zero traces of ginseng and instead contained powdered rice and garlic.
How To Choose A Good Supplement For Health Benefits
- Purchase it from a health food store, not a pharmacy
- Do not just go for the cheapest option
- Get recommendations from a specialist. They can tell you the right dose and type (e.g. there are over 6 types of magnesium! A doctor can help you know you’re getting the right one or the one that’s most absorbable).
- Avoid supplements loaded with too many fillers or binders (one or two is alright, however should not be a laundry list).
- Avoid supplements with synthetic colors and dyes.